Tax Day may mean double duty if you have foreign assets

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) recently reminded taxpayers that even those living abroad likely need to file paperwork this tax season. In some cases, the government may require taxpayers file additional paperwork.

What else does the Treasury Department need? The agency may also require an additional form, the Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR). This form is due on April 15th, 2019.

Who needs to file an FBAR? The government requires the FBAR for any United States citizens and resident aliens with a foreign financial account or signature authority over an account that at any time during 2018 had an aggregate value over $10,000.

How is this form different than income tax returns? The IRS accounts for the presence of foreign assets on income tax returns by requiring tax payers disclose the presence of any qualifying accounts or property. If the foreign asset is over the $10,000 requirement noted above, the government also requires that taxpayer file a separate FBAR.

Another difference: who gets the paperwork. Taxpayers file the FBAR with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) while income tax returns are filed with the IRS.

Is there an automatic extension? The IRS generally grants an automatic six-month extension for those who fail to file a required FBAR. However, the extension generally comes with the retirement at the taxpayer file the form online.

What if I still need to report foreign assets? Those who have yet to report foreign assets to the IRS or Treasury Department have options. Those with foreign assets are wise to seek legal counsel to discuss these options.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Our Team

Contact Us to Get Started Today

Located in the Washington, D.C area, we serve clients in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Northern Virginia, as well as across the country and overseas. For a free initial consultation, call 202-381-1261 or complete our brief online form.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Six Convenient Office Locations in and around the DC Metropolitan Area

Washington, D.C.
1050 Connecticut Ave NW #500
Washington, D.C. 20036

Phone: 202-618-1873
Fax: 888-235-8405
Washington Law Office Map

Columbia Office
10440 Little Patuxent Parkway, Suite 300
Columbia, MD 21044

Phone: 410-497-5947
Fax: 888-235-8405
Columbia Law Office Map

Annapolis Office
839 Bestgate Road
Suite 400
Annapolis, MD 21401

Phone: 410-497-5947
Fax: 888-235-8405
Annapolis Law Office Map

Fairfax Office
8280 Willow Oaks Corporate Drive
Suite 600
Fairfax, VA 22031

Phone: 703-621-7169
Fax: 888-235-8405
Fairfax Law Office Map

Rockville Office
199 E. Montgomery Avenue
Suite 100
Rockville, MD 20850

Phone: 240-599-5009
Fax: 888-235-8405
Rockville Law Office Map

Baltimore Office
400 East Pratt Street
8th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202

Phone: 443-743-3381
Fax: 888-235-8405
Baltimore Law Office Map