Gary D. Altman
Gary Altman, Esq. is the Founder and Principal Attorney of the estate planning law firm, Altman & Associates, where he has been serving the Washington metropolitan area, for over 25 years. In January, Altman & Associates merged with Frost Law of Annapolis, MD and Gary became the Chair of the Estate Practice Group for the firm. Gary’s legal practice is dedicated to all aspects of estate law: estate, tax, and charitable planning; business succession planning; special needs planning; asset protection strategies; reformation of irrevocable trusts, trust beneficiary, and fiduciary representation; trust and probate administration; and fiduciary litigation. Gary has extensive experience representing clients with sophisticated and complex estate and business matters.
A nationally recognized estate, legacy, and business planning authority, Gary’s “outstanding expertise, trustworthiness and commitment to his clients’ needs” has earned him repeated recognition by Washingtonian, Bethesda, and Northern Virginia magazines as among the DC region’s “Best Estate Planners.” He has also been honored as a “Top 100 Attorney” by Worth magazine and likewise recognized, for over 20 years, as a Maryland and Washington, DC “Super Lawyer.”
As a trusted legal analyst, Gary has lent his expertise and authored articles for a wide range of media outlets including: The Washington Post, The NY Times, The Journal of Financial Advisors, The Wall Street Journal, Northern Virginia Magazine, and CNN. Gary has taught various estate planning courses to attorneys, accountants, and financial planners, and was an instructor at Georgetown University, teaching the estate planning segment of its Certified Financial Planner program, from 2015 to 2019. From 1997 to 2004, he was an Adjunct Professor at the Florida Institute of Technology (Alexandria, VA campus), also teaching the estate planning segment of its Certified Financial Planner program. Gary has served and chaired on multiple boards to include the National Capital Area Chapter of the Financial Planning Association, and the National Capital Chapter of the Society for Financial Service Professionals. In 2015, he was a member of Leadership Montgomery’s Core Program. Gary serves on the Board for Hope Connections for cancer support.
Gary graduated from NYU Law School (JD, 1980) and Georgetown University (LLM (Tax), 1990). Gary is a member of the Bar of Maryland, Washington, DC, Virginia, and New York.
Gary, recognized as a wine aficionado, enjoys spending his leisure time with his wife, Liz, and their two Labradors. He is an avid racquetball, paddleball, and pickle ball player, who enjoys traveling, reading, and cooking gourmet pizza in his wood-burning outdoor pizza oven for family and friends.
Areas of Practice
- Trusts and Estates Taxation
- Estate Planning
- Trust Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Financial Planner, 1988
- Maryland State Bar Association (Member)
- District of Columbia Bar (Member)
- National Capital Chapter of Financial Planning, 2006 (President, Board Member)
- Wealth Counsel, LLC (Founding Member)
- Academy of Special Needs Trust (Founding Member)
- Maryland Chamber of Commerce (Member)
- National Capital Chapter of Financial Planning (President, Board Member)
- Maryland Estate Planning Councils (Member)
- Washington, D.C. Estate Planning Councils (Member)
- Wealth Counsel Advisors Forum (Founding Member)
- Certified Financial Planner, 1988
- District of Columbia, 1980
- Maryland, 1992
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- L.L.M. – 1992
- Major: Taxation
- New York University School of Law, New York
- J.D. – 1980
- Wesleyan University
- B.S. – 1977
- Adjunct Professor, Estate Planning for Certified Financial Planners, Florida Institute of Technology, Alexandria, Virginia Campus, 1997 – Present