Frost & Associates, LLC
Call Today 202-618-1873

Underreported income, part 1: Responding to robo-notices

Every year, millions of taxpayers receive a computer-generated notice from the IRS about (supposedly) underreported income.

These notices are called CP2000 or automated underreporting (AUR) notices. They are generated (shall we say "spit out"?) by IRS computers based on a mismatch between the income reported on a taxpayer's return and information available to the IRS from third parties such as employers and banks.

If you get one, it doesn't mean you did anything wrong. But you do need to respond.

Look in the right-hand corner

As a first step, take a close look at the upper-right-hand corner of the notice. If it says Notice: CP2000, and has an AUR control number, that means the document was generated by an IRS computer without any human signing off on it.

Having verified this, you can breathe a little sigh of relief because a CP2000 notice is not an audit. To be sure, the IRS does initiate correspondence audits by letter, asking for more information about your tax return. But a CP-2000 notice isn't that. Instead, it's informing you that the IRS is proposing changes to your tax return.

Do you agree with the proposed changes?

If you agree with the changes, you can sign the response form and mail it back in. But if you don't agree, you have 30 days to tell the IRS that (or 60 days if you live outside the U.S.).

If you don't respond within the requisite time, and the IRS has determined you owe more tax, you will be facing a notice of deficiency. And in addition there would be interest and applicable penalties.

In other words, a CP2000 notice isn't a tax bill, but you could end up with a bill by default if you don't respond.

More difficult issues

If you did underreport your income by a substantial amount, the issues of course become more difficult. Was the underreporting the result of a good faith mistake, for which the IRS can waive any tax penalties? Or was the underreporting the result of willful tax evasion?

We will take up these questions in part two of this two-part post.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Every Tax Problem Has A Solution

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact us today!

Frost & Associates, Attorneys at Law
1629 K Street NW, Suite 300
Washington, D.C. 20006

Phone: 202-618-1873
Phone: 202-505-6959
Fax: 888-235-8405
Washington Law Office Map

Columbia Office
10440 Little Patuxent Parkway, Suite 300
Columbia, MD 21044

Phone: 202-618-1873
Phone: 202-505-6959
Fax: 888-235-8405
Columbia Law Office Map

Annapolis Office
888 Bestgate Road
Suite 400
Annapolis, MD 21401

Phone: 202-618-1873
Phone: 202-505-6959
Fax: 888-235-8405
Map & Directions

Fairfax Office
8280 Willow Oaks Corporate Drive
Suite 600
Fairfax, VA 22031

Phone: 202-618-1873
Phone: 240-599-5009
Phone: 202-505-6959
Fax: 888-235-8405
Map & Directions

Rockville Office
199 E. Montgomery Avenue
Suite 100
Rockville, MD 20850

Phone: 202-618-1873
Phone: 703-621-7169
Phone: 202-505-6959
Fax: 888-235-8405
Map & Directions

Find us on...
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linked In