Appealing within IRS is an option for tax disputes

A taxpayer may feel powerless against the mighty IRS, but an individual or business who feels they are being overcharged on an income tax adjustment has the option to appeal. Even the place they file the appeal is not predetermined.

Besides tax court, appeals can be handled by the local IRS appeals office. It is not necessary to appeal within the IRS before going to tax court; which route to take likely depends on each taxpayer's individual case and circumstances.

Depending on the size of the tax bill in dispute, the appeal will either be a small case request or a formal protest. A small case request is for cases involving taxes, penalties and interest totaling $25,000 or less. The taxpayer making a small case request should include a brief written statement requesting an appeals conference, and explaining the changes to the taxpayer's bill that he or she does not agree with, and why.

A formal protest, on the other hand, requires a somewhat more formal application. It must include a copy of the IRS letter proposing the disputed tax adjustment, the tax years involved, and other relevant facts.

The taxpayer, with the help of his or her attorney, should cite the laws and authorities he or she is relying on in the appeal. Note that nothing outside the scope of tax law, like refusing to pay taxes for religious or political reasons, is a legitimate reason to appeal. Finally, the taxpayer signs the protest, declaring under penalty of perjury that it is factual and complete to the best of his or her knowledge.

The ensuing conference can be conducted in person, over the phone or through correspondence. Taxpayers are allowed to be represented by an attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Our Team

Contact Us to Get Started Today

Located in the Washington, D.C area, we serve clients in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Northern Virginia, as well as across the country and overseas. For a free initial consultation, call 202-381-1261 or complete our brief online form.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Six Convenient Office Locations in and around the DC Metropolitan Area

Washington, D.C.
1050 Connecticut Ave NW #500
Washington, D.C. 20036

Phone: 202-618-1873
Fax: 888-235-8405
Washington Law Office Map

Columbia Office
10440 Little Patuxent Parkway, Suite 300
Columbia, MD 21044

Phone: 202-618-1873
Phone: 410-497-5947
Fax: 888-235-8405
Columbia Law Office Map

Annapolis Office
839 Bestgate Road
Suite 400
Annapolis, MD 21401

Phone: 202-618-1873
Phone: 410-497-5947
Fax: 888-235-8405
Annapolis Law Office Map

Fairfax Office
8280 Willow Oaks Corporate Drive
Suite 600
Fairfax, VA 22031

Phone: 202-618-1873
Phone: 703-988-4817
Fax: 888-235-8405
Fairfax Law Office Map

Rockville Office
199 E. Montgomery Avenue
Suite 100
Rockville, MD 20850

Phone: 202-618-1873
Phone: 240-599-5009
Fax: 888-235-8405
Rockville Law Office Map

Baltimore Office
400 East Pratt Street
8th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202

Phone: 202-618-1873
Phone: 443-743-3381
Fax: 888-235-8405
Baltimore Law Office Map